Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas

Holidays used to be "Holy Days" but I'm having a hard time finding the "holy" in Christmas this year. The "Salvation Army" used to be ringing their bells, opening doors and offering a hardy, "Merry Christmas!" To passers by. Now they are snubbed by many stores because of their religious bent. There used to be a Nativity Scene at the park. That has been ended for fear of reprisal. We as a nation have been "purifying" ourselves but from what? I remember a song by Paul Stookey called
"Hymn" One verse reads,

"I visited Your house again on Christmas or Thanksgiving
And a balded man said You were dead,
But the house would go on living.
He recited poetry and as he saw me stand to leave
He shook his head and said I'd never find You."

That's how this Christmas feels.  It is no longer a religious, holy-day in this country.  It is a tradition and a sad one at that.  Billions of dollars are spent giving gifts, they once were in honor of the wise men who came to worship Jesus... now they are just... well gifts.  I don't get the draw.

My question is, is there anything I can do to reclaim it?  Really, Christmas started as a pagan holy-day perhaps it has already been reclaimed.  God what is your take? (listening) It feels like a distraction.  I'm thinking of Psalms 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God".  That's really what I want to do this Christmas.  I don't want to go shopping.  I don't want hit the parties.  I just want to turn my focus on Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment