Sunday, April 1, 2012

Freedom- breaking the yoke

Isaiah 58:6 "Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke?" What does that mean in 2012? (listening) I'm not sure about the rest of it but the part that is tugging at my heart today is the line, "To loose the bonds of wickedness" I don't know that I could define the word wickedness... oh I can say, "It means doing evil" but what does that mean?  I believe evil is much more subtle than we realize. How do you "loose the bonds of wickedness" ? Are we to get help people get free from their addictions, hangups and evil desires?  Or are we to free those who are trapped by the wickedness of others?  I suppose it could be both but the picture I have is of that trapped feeling I get when I'm out of options.  I'm thinking of domestic violence, or modern day slavery.  (listening) Hmmm can you sum up wickedness as power and control? I'm thinking that power is not wicked... it is a gift or a circumstance but the misuse of it is way wicked

I often feel trapped when I feel like I am given no voice. For instance, I feel trapped in our politics.  I live in an area that has one large population center and many small rural communities.  The rural communities vote one way, the big city votes another.   Because more people in the city, how they vote is how we then live for the next few years.  I feel impotent.  If the word oppressed were exchanged for trapped it has more meaning for me. (listening) Wow, how many people in our world feel trapped?  If I feel trapped in my circumstance, think of people in say, Syria or Somalia. The misuse of power is a great evil.  But how do we do anything about it? (listening) How can I let the oppressed go free?  (listening)

Interesting, the picture turned in my head to the passage in Romans 12:3 and beyond where it says to use the gifts that we have been given.  Hmmm, like freedom is both allowing those who are gifted to move in their gifting but also to walk free in your gifts because walking free in your gift, sets others free in theirs.  It is the opposite of power and control to walk free... like live free to free

No comments:

Post a Comment