Sunday, October 23, 2011

Welcome to the Human Race!

I keep going back to the topic of shame. Guilt says, "I did something wrong" but shame says, "there is something wrong with me".  Shame hurts-- deeply hurts. It ought never be used as a weapon, but it is used all the time. 

I think it has something to do with who we authorize as judge. Who is the one telling me I am flawed? Do they really have the ability to know?

The media is wields shame without restraint and I believe it is a major contributor to the suicide rate.  The theory goes; in order to sell this product, I must convince you that without it you are flawed.  "Because you are flawed, you need this product for hair loss prevention." "Because you are flawed you must buy this diet food program." "Because you are flawed you need this drug."Really???

The truth is, we are all human; we are all inadequate... flawed at least by human standards. That is why we need a savior. But why is it that a savior doesn't seem to be enough? What are we trying to measure up to? What is the mark we are trying to reach? Is it perfection?  What is true perfection anyway?

Romans 1:20 says, "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse," That says to me that we can understand God by His art... His creation. It says even to His eternal power and Godhead... wow, that is a lot to see! I believe the same of any artist.  Understand someone's art and you understand the artist who created it. God has expressed Himself perfectly through His creation.  What an awesome concept!

It's very sad to me that we mow down God's art to create our own without really trying to see what He has given us to see.  (Hmmm, as I ponder that, I feel the gentle nudge from Him to come to a quiet place and spend some time with Him)

So what about perfection? When I have been pressed to be "perfect", I feel pressed to conform.  I never measure up to perfect.  My hair, for instance, if it was perfect, every strand would flow in a consistent pattern nothing would be out of place.  In order to be "perfect" I would need hairspray to hold it into place (really?). I have chemical sensitivities which prevents me from using hairspray does that mean I can never be perfect?

Why do we strive for perfect anyway?  Is it perfection we want, or is it love? Is it the fear of not being perfect that drives our shame or the fear that we are not lovable?

Going back to God's creation.  I marvel at the trees.  It is fall here in the North.  The leaves are ablaze with indescribable colors! Every leaf is a different shade of awesome.  That is amazing to me.  If perfection were about conformity then every leaf would be the same wouldn't it? But every leaf has a glitch.  Some have spots, I don't believe any one matches another in shape, size or color.  If so, can only one leaf be perfect? Or are they all perfectly unique?






No comments:

Post a Comment