Friday, March 19, 2021

Politically correct?

We are working so hard to be "Politically" correct.  But what is the fruit of it?  It feels like I'm wearing a wool suit that was stuck in the drier!  I don't even know from one day to the next what is or isn't "O.K."  Mostly, I feel frightened and intimidated.  I'm sure one day I will cross some invisible line and become the victim of the cruelty that comes when you are thought to be politically incorrect.  One thing is for sure. with all the emphasis on inclusion, I feel less included than I ever have.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that we should be color blind, that women should be paid the same as anyone would be paid for the work they accomplish.  I don't care what sexual persuasion you are, if you did the job, you should get the pay.  That just makes sense.  But color blind, is color blind.  It needs to go both ways.  And be based not on equality... but compassion. 

Women should be paid their worth because we as a people understand that the weight of the world is on their shoulders or simply because all people are people, and people are worth it.  Period, no exception.  I choose to include you because I care about you!  What good is "equality" if, at it's core, there is a sense of compunction or fear?  Fear fosters resentment... not equality!

A basic law of physics: "If you want my respect.  Treat me with respect".  Doesn't that go without saying?  We live in a country that has paid dearly for the right to say freely, and without fear, what is on our hearts.  

How does all this fit into freedom?  I'm thinking of Galatians 5:13  "For you were called to freedom, brothers and sistersonly do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but serve one another through love."  What about the demand to be "politically correct" fosters love?  

At the end of the day, I figure if I focus on "correctness", I have taken my eyes off of Jesus and that never ends well.  But if I focus on HimnGalatians 5:22-23 says, "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."  Isn't that a better goal?



No comments:

Post a Comment