Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Holiness

 Romans 12:1 says, "Therefore I urge you, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service."  What does it mean to be a living sacrifice?  I have always heard this passage used to encourage me to do acts of service for others or for the Church.  There are other passages that fit that idea but I am getting a different impression here.  

Let's start with the "Therefore" this passage is summing up something from before.  The end of Romans 11 talks of how God gave grace and made room for the Gentiles to be brought into His covenant.  It is all about grace.  So, Since God has shown such mercy... to welcome you into His family... Sacrifice it all to be holy.

I'm not sure I understand what the word holiness means.  I've been told it means being "set apart"  Perhaps like not picking a few of the best beans because they are set apart to become seed?  I think the word has a sense of purpose.  I'm set apart for something.  So if our bodies are set apart for something, what is that something?

I'm not sure that I can know that question for you.  I think I can only know the answer for me.  And then only as I learn to hear God's leading and purpose for me.  I wonder though, if we understood that we have great purpose, that we need to sacrifice ourselves to live out that purpose,  and stand ready to be all God intends for us to be, what would happen next?


No comments:

Post a Comment