Thursday, September 6, 2018

What's on Your Bucket List?

I listened to a Christian talk radio show a few month ago.  The topic was on aging well.  In it one man suggested that we should all have a bucket lest with at least 50 things on it.  He suggested that you should always be crossing things off and then adding more on so that you continually lived with a sense of future.  He has a point.  As I am nearing the age of retirement, I find myself surrounded by piers who have aged out of there sense of adventure.

So I wondered, what are good ideas for a bucket list?  Did Jesus have a bucket list?  I sort of think He did and that He crossed the last one off His list as He was hanging on the cross.  Hmmm, that gives a whole new meaning to "bucket list" doesn't it?  I believe our lives are full of purpose.  We were created for something... something amazing!  But what is that exactly?  Now that we are looking to less time scrapping for money and more time doing as we please (at least we hope), what is next? And is our time for doing as we please?  That sounds pretty empty and a bit naive to me.  

I have a bucket list but just like my "to do" list, I often don't add something to my list until it has been accomplished.  Does anyone else do that?  Like, Bucket list item number one:  "deliver a baby".  Yup, I've done that, but it wasn't planned.  I just happened to be the one it fell to when the mid-wife came later than the baby.  Bucket list item number two:  Live through a tornado.  Yup,  I've done that too.  I didn't plan on that one either but I did add it to my bucket list just so that I could have the pleasure of crossing it off.

There are many experiences I would like to have before I'm done on this earth.  But the why is pretty important to me as well.  Experiences mean nothing if they do not draw ourselves or others around us closer to God.  (listening) Perhaps that's it.  Maybe my bucket list is about making the time and space to find Him.  Sit at His feet and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment