Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bees and being subject to Slavery

I've been reading Hebrews this morning. This passage caught my eye, "Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil,and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives." Hebrews 14-15 NAS Is that talking only about dying? God, how are we "all our lives" subject to slavery over our fear of dying? (Listening) Hmmm, I have a complicated picture. We do bees, that is my husband does bees. I would wager to say that he is a bee whisperer. Though he does get stung sometimes, even when he lifts the lid and messes with the inside of the hives they mostly leave him alone. I love honey but bees not so much. They don't like me either. They will go out of their way to sting me.

We have just finished harvesting our honey for the year. My husband got into the hives, pulled out frames dripping with fresh honey and then left the pile of frame boxes close to the hives. My kids came later to pick them up. Needless to say they were surrounded by bees wishing to take back their prize. Bees know if you are afraid. Basically, if you are calm, they are calm (present company excepted) I watched as two young women danced a dance, picking up boxes, blowing bees out, putting them in the car. Always being very calm and never getting stung.

For me, my fear of bees is a fear of death. Not that I am allergic to them and face real danger, but I am terrified of being stung. Where does that come from? I'm not really sure but it controls me. I'm thinking I am a slave to my fear. I'm also thinking that for me it feels like death.

There are a lot of things that feel like death. Exposing anything that I feel shame about feels like death and as I am gaining an understanding of God's amazing grace. I am less afraid over all. And without fear to drive my decisions I am way more free. It's amazing!

The thing is satan does a lot to convince us that life is death and death is life. Doing the right thing often feels like dying does it not? As a general rule I have found that when I run from what I fear, I'm running away from life.

No comments:

Post a Comment