Friday, May 21, 2021

When evil reigns

I was reading in Psalms 110 and wondered.  It feels like a promise of death and destruction and I wondered, "How is this about a loving God full of mercies?  I wonder if many of the psalms of David are a yearning for justice.  I remember a time when I longed for justice.  My life was in the crosshairs of a man who needed to be more powerful than hmmm... me maybe?... or God?.  I pleaded to God for justice... but in this life, justice will not come.  

 Proverbs 28:5  says, "Evil men do not understand justice" Has there ever been a time when that was more true than now?  Actually, as I think about it, yes, there has been.  Many times oppressors have come and invaded land and crushed people.  People groan under the power of evil.  

I wonder, what is the goal of evil?  Is it only about bringing chaos or is there a deeper agenda?  I wonder if the end goal is to cause us all to lose our courage?  I find it interesting that in Revelations 21:8 ("But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”) cowardice is mentioned in the same list with the murderers and sexually immoral.  That can certainly put me in my place.

Satan is subtle if nothing else isn't he?  We can look so "good" on the outside but if fear is ruling our decisions... we are in deeper trouble than we think!  

So where do we turn?  And what do we do?  Listening... I am reminded of Peter in Matthew 14:22-33  when Peter climbed out of the boat to walk on the water with Jesus.  At first he leaped out of the boat and walked with Jesus on the water,  But then, for a moment, fear took over, as he realized he was doing the impossible.  His only hope then was to cry out to Jesus for rescue.  

Is it time for us to do the same? 

No comments:

Post a Comment