Monday, May 3, 2021

Obedience and a hunger for Grace

 God must have a sense of humor.  writing right now is an act of obedience... one that took me far to long to move in today.  I distract myself with so many things then late at night I ask... well, what do you want me to write about?... obedience... ouch!!!

In these times, when life is so confusing maybe?  It's hard for me to move through the molasses of my day and function.  After taking a covid break from people, it's hard to figure out how to reengage.  I'm not sure I want to!    People have become so rage full and unforgiving.  I find myself hungering for grace.  Grace... yes from God but perhaps more so from the people around me.  I remember, a long time ago now, when I was pregnant with my first born.  I often took the bus downtown to shop or get some fresh air.  When I got on the bus people fell all over themselves to offer me, an obviously pregnant woman, a seat.  

Fast forward a few years and I was on a Southwest flight and the stewardess asked if someone would give up their seat because there was a family with two small children who needed to be seated together.  Though I was traveling alone, so I was of no help.  But there were many who had the ability though not the willingness to offer their seat.  Why is it that we see ourselves as more advanced, a better society now?  I miss kindness!

How are grace and obedience connected?  I think grace is often not our knee jerk reaction.  perhaps it isn't intentional, but how often to we think of another's circumstance as more important than our own?  Offering grace requires that you are a mind awake.  I believe that obedience is the caffeine that does just that.  It draws our eyes out of the looking glass and focuses them on service.

Hebrews 5:8 says, "though He (Jesus) was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered." Obedience is hard earned.  It costs a lot.  It takes practice.  It must be learned, learned and relearned.  I need to start again... today



No comments:

Post a Comment