Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Love is patient... and kind

John 13:25 "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”  We used to sing a song, the chorus is simply, "they will know we are Christians by our love, by our love.  

There was a day when I could no longer in good conscience sing that song.  Will they know we are Christians by our love?  What does that look like?  How do we love one another?  I mean in a way that would be noticed as different and noteworthy?

I know for me, I have been most touched when I have experienced kindness.  I remember a day when a woman sat down with me and asked, I mean really asked me to tell my story.  I started at the top, describing all the mistakes and mishaps that had brought me to a more real and vibrant relationship with my God.  I noticed, as I was describing a particularly painful part of my story a small tear making it's way down her cheek.  It touched me... deeply.  At that point in my life, I don't remember anyone ever having compassion for my pain.  I felt cared for, maybe mothered.  

That one moment of kindness and compassion still effects me today.  Even now I marvel that she took the time.  That she listened with her heart engaged and wept with me.  It takes patience... the ability to give up your time to actively listen.  It takes time.  But more than anything it is a choice to be kind

No comments:

Post a Comment