Thursday, June 17, 2021

Racoon 1- Chickens 1 taking stalk of your surroundings

 I have recently acquired a "chicken door".  Our delivery man was very curious when my box arrived.  The label said, "Ladies first chicken door."  He couldn't imagine what that could mean.  I assured him it was what it said... a door for chickens.  He had never heard of such a thing.

It's sort of like a doggy door only it opens by itself at dawn and closes at dusk which eliminates your need to be out there to tuck your birds in at night. and keeps them safe from predators that stalk the coop at night.    Well, mostly.  I had one bird who was a bit of a night owl.  She would not go in before the door closed and if we didn't find her, scoop hr up and slip her in, then she was out all night fending for herself.  The thing is.  She was not a very bright bird and would just sit by the coop on the ground all night with no attempt to protect herself.  It was on one of those nights when we lost our bird to a visiting raccoon.  It wasn't much of a trick for him to catch her,  she was literally a sitting duck! (well, chicken)

Today we finally caught the raccoon that has been terrorizing my chicken coop.   He was the biggest raccoon I have ever seen!  He probably got that big by eating so many of our chicken eggs...  and our crazy chicken.  

There are many things that catch me off guard.  I am beginning to wonder if I, like that chicken have forgotten that there are dangers lurking.  That I have a God in heaven whom I serve and an enemy that wants to find opportunity to catch me unaware.  Hmmm

I'm thinking  of Luke 12:35 - 40

“Let your waist be girded and your lamps burning; and you yourselves be like men who wait for their master, when he will return from the wedding, that when he comes and knocks they may open to him immediately. Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them. And if he should come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”

No comments:

Post a Comment