Sunday, June 5, 2011

Soft Heart... Hard Heart

The older I get the harder it has become to see the best in people. I have seen such contradiction between what people present as their values and what proves out to be the case. And yet I cling to 1 Corinthians 13:7 which says in the amplified version, "[Love] is ever ready to believe the best of every person."

I want to be a person of grace. I want my heart to be soft towards others. I want to be moved with compassion like Jesus was moved, even to tears (John 11:35). But there are some days when man's inhumanity to man causes me to turn my face away from humanity and seek "hardness" to cope. What about that LORD? (listening) Matthew 11:30 comes to mind, "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." How is that related? (listening) Hmmm it's like I am seeing a contrast between trying to "love" in my own power... I want my heart to be soft... I want to be a person of grace. There is nothing wrong with the desire but muscling my way into "softness" is contradictory!

So God how do I let you soften my heart? (listening) *smile* "Well... ask me!" *smile* Ok, so I am asking. It is true that I can not make myself gracious or soft hearted and the harder I try the tougher my heart becomes. God soften my heart... let me see the pain in people and even the inhumanity but from side of your perspective and under your yoke instead of mine.

1 comment:

  1. It seems to be true like you said, when we attempt to be soft towards others it is sort of ridiculous that we would even think we can. When ever I think about loving someone who holds something against me, or who has hurt me, it is like licking sandpaper, why would I want to even try to get to know them or care for them or love them in some way? But yet, I know Jesus calls us to this impossible task...or well, He calls us to love supernaturally, which just by the super part, which I suck at, it has to be in his super, not my own. Sure glad about that, I don't want to try and do it my way anymore, I know that Jesus is who I need to love others, a supernatural infilling is what it takes for me. Thanks for sharing Ruth Ann. I love the way you carry on running conversations with Him while sharing. It is a very vulnerable thing to do, thank you.

    ReplyDelete