Friday, February 26, 2021

Daring to draw Near

 I read a book many years ago called "Daring to Draw Near" by John White.  In it was a challenge to truly get close and personal with God and to lay before Him your needs.  My family and I were in pretty dire straights.  We were without work and facing bills we could not pay.  Still, it felt petty to me to ask the God of the universe for a job.  It also felt like He already knows my dilemma so what's the point of asking?  I'm not sure where all that came from.  Perhaps I felt small in insignificant?  Or maybe like a black sheep, an annoyance perhaps?  I know that we tend to attach to God the attributes or our fathers good or bad.  I was certainly an annoyance to my earthly father, what was I to God?  How do you draw near when at your core, your riddled with fear and insecurities?

It was a struggle, but I laid all my misgivings aside and simply opened my heart and presented my concerns.  Though hesitant, I asked specifically, it was the middle of August, and I told God we needed to be employed by the first of September.  It felt a bit ridiculous I think.  Maybe I felt demanding and self absorbed, but at the same time, I took a step closer to the God of the universe.  I came to Him in need of what I could not do myself.  I was asking for a miracle.  Not demanding one, but asking like a child asks her Father.  It was the first time I had ever approached God as His child... It's hard to explain.  Just in the drawing near, I was changed... He was closer.  Like the James 4:8 says, "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you"  It's really true...  I dare you to do you same!

The end of the story started with a phone call.  We didn't call them, never sent in an application.  They called us!  There was an immediate need and our name came up, could we start right away?  We started our job on August 29th.  And I could almost see the twinkle in the eyes of God. 

Draw near, I dare ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment