Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Integrity, the hard right thing

What does it mean to have integrity? I wonder when we stopped teaching responsibility to our children.  Like when your child hits a baseball though a neighbor's window, isn't it time for your child to do the hard right thing and work off the cost of a replacement window?   How does that translate for us?  What is integrity?  

I wonder what the difference is between integrity and faithfulness?  I'm thinking of Luke 16:10 where it says,  "He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much."  Is it integrity to be consistent?  Meaning, that you do and act the same when you are being watched as you do when no one is looking?  Are you faithful in the little things?

I'm thinking of the times when I get to my car and realize that I have something in my grocery cart I neglected to pay for.  When my kids were little this was a BIG deal.  I wanted to live a life of integrity but I didn't want to drag my cranky, weary kids back into the store just to get back in line or explain to someone I was returning something I didn't pay for.  Integrity, isn't integrity I guess, unless is doing the HARD right thing.

I know a man who has to decide tonight whether he continues to walk on the path that he's on, or admit he isn't able to fake it anymore.  Life is tough!  And fewer people understand integrity both on the giving and receiving side.  But, isn't it refreshing when someone taps you on the shoulder and says, "Excuse me but you just dropped this hundred dollar bill on the floor."  (I know, who has a hundred dollar bill these days eh? but you get my point!)

Integrity, the hard right thing... Isn't it time we lived it? 


No comments:

Post a Comment