Thursday, May 5, 2011

Are we different?

I know,
I know that Osama Bin Laden was brutal and ruthless. I know that we couldn't have done any different... "Those that live by the sword will die by the sword." But I don't think this is a time to rejoice.

I work with women who have been hurt. Sometimes I help them walk through a divorce. Many times they are divorcing a tyrant, a boar of a man who is brutal to them and divorce is their very best choice. But a divorce is never a thing to celebrate. It is a time to grieve. It is a loss of huge proportions even if it is the loss of a dream. A marriage has crumbled at the hands of the enemy and he is giddy with the holy thing he has destroyed. This is no place to celebrate. Many heave a sign of relief, like Jesus on the cross they can finally say, "It is finished" but that is all.

The shooting of Bin Laden is time to grieve. Time to grieve the loss of what could have been. One human being chose a life of brutality and hate. He could have used his influence for so much good! I grieve his choice. And the loss of what could have been if he had made a different one.

I know many are heaving a sigh of relief. Many have lost husbands, children, wives and friends at Osoma Bin Laden's hand. I get that. I grieved too at the twin tower catastrophe and at the cruel celebration of those who thought it a victory in the name of "god". I too hope the loss of their leader will scatter the members of this terrorist group. But I can still grieve the loss. One more death, one more bloody coo.

No comments:

Post a Comment