Thursday, May 26, 2011

Perspective

I went to see a friend this evening. She has always lived a very active life but now is unable to walk. One wrong step and everything came to an abrupt halt. It makes you wonder if you have your own priorities in order. My days right now are busy-- but busy with what? Her days are full of what she can see from a chair. I have been there. It was a time of awakening for me. George Mac Donald's (an amazing author from the 1800's) books often have an illness element. You can see in his books how much he connects illness with spiritual awakening. Is that God's intention for aging? Or is it just an effect of the fall? Is it a time when we must slow down. Perhaps aging is yet another way that God gives opportunity for us to turn our eyes towards Him

I remember a time in my life when I spent my days watching the seasons change. My world shrank until it was a tight circle around my bed. I couldn't see the ever increasing number of dust bunnies in the corners. I couldn't see the thick layer of dust on the furniture. But I could see what still remains important to me today--my family, my friends. and my God

No comments:

Post a Comment